Sonning Lawn Tennis Club is a small and friendly village tennis club founded in 1946. We welcome new members and players of all standards – group and individual coaching is available. We also run tournaments and social events. We have men’s, ladies and mixed teams in the Berkshire leagues.
In accordance with Government restrictions announced on 4 January 2021 the tennis club is currently closed. We will open as soon as restrictions are lifted.
What do we offer?
- Club session – turn up and play with other members of all abilities
- Coaching – adults and juniors, individuals and groups
- Social events – a variety of activities throughout the year
- Tournaments – for adults and juniors
- League matches – for those who wish to play competitive tennis with other clubs in Berkshire
- Members can invite Guests along to play. Please refer to Policies page for conditions.
Full details on this web-site. Any further queries contact the Club Chairman Tim Banks
You can find out more about what’s going on at Sonning Tennis Club by reading our exciting Spring Newsletter
- Sonning tennis club will be 75 years old this year………special events to celebrate this milestone are being prepared!!
- Sonning Parish Council are currently replacing conifer hedge between the Courts and King George Field. Work to be completed by end of January 2021. Members are asked to be extra careful when accessing the courts.
- If you want to support a good cause and need to buy re-usable face masks( more environmentally friendly and made in Sonning Village) then call Mary or Liz.
- Finals of the club Championships took place on 5 September (pictures below). Congratulations to all the winners and to all the members who entered. Click here to see winners and finalist names and pictures.
- Rob Ventin an accredited LTA level 3 coach has joined Rob Stone and Sally Utting in the Sonning tennis coaching team. Additional coaching slots will now be added. An email will soon be sent to Members announcing new coaching sessions, please give the team your support.
- The Autumn American Tournament went ahead on 20th September. Well done to all that entered. For Winners and Finalists and information about the tournament please click here
- The Loudwell Cup, a family focused tournament for the Juniors took place on Saturday 19 September. Club President Hiliary Moss made the presentation to the winning pair. For more details about the event and the Winners please click here.
- The Hilary Moss Girls Trophy, running for the first time since 2016 was run on 21 st September. Congratulations to the Finalists. For more details and pictures please click here
- The club has introduced a court booking system for members, this can be accessed via the Club Events page. Please book a court before turning up to play to avoid unnecessary journeys and to help support social distancing.
- The Clubhouse remains ‘closed’ although access is still permitted to members for the First Aid kit or access to toilet.
- Planned court resealing and repainting will be re-scheduled to Spring 2021 to avoid court closures to Members during Summer months.
Remember “Play Safe, Stay Safe”
New adult and family members welcome. Visit the ‘Join Us’ page to apply online.
The club is currently closed following new Government restrictions announced 4 Jan 2021
- The Committee organised an Autumn ‘cleanup’ working party. This was our most successful event yet and was well supported by many members. Hedges were trimmed and a general tidy up around the clubhouse took place and the clubhouse itself received a ‘deep clean’ ready for its’ grand reopening when Government rules allow!…volunteers were rewarded with an ‘ice cold’ beer! Picture below (apologies to those that had to leave before the photo was taken)
- Additional coaching sessions have been introduced on Wednesdays or Saturdays. These are popular and extra sessions already requested by the coaches.
- 6 teams have been registered for the 2020 Berkshire Winter leagues. 2 mens’, 2 ladies’, 2 mixed. (See Matches page for fixtures & dates)
When the club reopens the following sessions exist: Adult club sessions on Sat 10am, Sun 1pm, Tues 6.30pm (Summertime only), Wed 1.00pm, Family only session Sun 11am (Summertime only). NHS Track & Trace in operation at all sessions.
Tuesday evening Adult club sessions resumed 11 August, limited to 24, Club balls will be provided, remember to bring your own refreshments.
Don’t forget Saturday adult club sessions. Start at 10am.