Sonning Lawn Tennis Club is a small and friendly village tennis club founded in 1946.
We welcome new members and players of all standards – group and individual coaching is available. We also run tournaments and social events. We have mens, ladies and mixed teams in the Berkshire leagues.
What do we offer?
- Club session – turn up and play with other members of all abilities
- Coaching – adults and juniors, individuals and groups
- Social events – a variety of activities thoughout the year
- Tournaments – for adults and juniors
- League matches – for those who wish to play competitive tennis with other clubs in Berkshire
- Members can invite Guests along to play. Please refer to Policies page for conditions.
Full details on this web-site. Any further queries contact the Club Chairman Tim Banks
You can find out more about what’s going on at Sonning Tennis Club by reading our exciting Spring Newsletter
- Saturday morning club sessions to resume from 25 July. Restricted to 24. NHS Track & Trace register in operation.
- Virtual Quiz Night announced for Wed July 29 at 7.30pm open to all Members (see Events & Coaching page for more details)
- Club Championships underway. Round 1 to be completed by 31 July, Round 2 by 31 August and Finals in September. Date to be confirmed with free BBQ if ‘relaxation rules’ allow.
- Rob Ventin an accredited LTA level 3 coach has joined Rob Stone and Sally Utting in the Sonning tennis coaching team. Additional coaching slots will now be added. An email will soon be sent to Members announcing new coaching sessions, please give the team your support.
- Following Government relaxation rules and advice from the LTA, Sonning tennis club re-opened to MEMBERS ONLY on Wednesday 13 May. Following new relaxation rules issued 31 May 2020 and LTA advice & guidance, doubles and singles can now be played between members of households not self isolating together.
- The club has introduced a temporary court booking system for members, this can be accessed via the Club Events page. Please book a court before turning up to play to avoid unnecessary journeys and to help support social distancing. Members are asked initially, as a courtesy, to limit play time to an hour. This will be reviewed by the committee dependent on demand.
- The Clubhouse remains ‘closed’ although access is still permitted to members for the First Aid kit or access to toilet.
- Members are recommended to use hand sanitizer after entering the court as well as after leaving the court.
- All designated club sessions are currently suspended until Government relaxation rules allow them to be reintroduced. Club tournaments, planned BBQ’s and other social events will be reintroduced as soon as relaxation rules permitted.
- Planned court resealing and repainting will be re-scheduled to Spring 2021 to avoid court closures to Members during Summer months.
Remember “Play Safe, Stay Safe”
New adult and family members welcome. Visit the ‘Join Us’ page to apply online.
Club Championships underway. Finals in September.
Technical coaching sessions start Saturday 4 July.
Virtual Quiz Night Wed 29 July 7.30pm for Members
- Virtual club quiz to be arranged, watch out for the invite
- Scheduled resealing and repainting of courts to be re-scheduled to Spring 2021
- Other planned social events Skittles night, Club tournaments, family events, BBQ’s, Christmas Dinner & Dance are all subject to relaxation rules. The committee will announce new dates as soon as possible as we know social events are a big part of the club.
- Additional coaching sessions have been introduced on Wednesdays or Saturdays. These are popular and extra sessions already requested by the coaches.
- All Summer and Winter league matches for 2020 season have been cancelled by Berkshire LTA.
Adult club sessions on Sat 10am, Sun 2pm, Tues 6.30pm (Summertime only), Wed 1:30pm, Family only session Sun 11am (Summertime only)
Saturday only Adult club sessions resume 25 July, limited initially to 24 and NHS Track & Trace register will be operated. New balls will be provided, remember to bring your pwn refreshments.